Flushing Council on Culture and the Arts, at historic Flushing Town Hall, is pleased to offer the following career opportunities:
Community Outreach – Chinese Project Director
Reports to: Executive and Artistic Director
Hours: Flexible Full-Time, periodic weekends and evenings
Flushing Town Hall (FTH), aka Flushing Council on Culture and the Arts (FCCA), seeks a flexible, full-time Community Outreach – Chinese Project Director. Working with FTH staff and Chinese leaders in the Flushing/Queens communities, the Community Outreach – Chinese Project Director will research, support, manage, recommend, implement and expand upon all FTH Chinese and Cross-cultural initiatives. The Community Outreach – Chinese Project Director will also coordinate, manage, and support FTH’s Chinese Cultural Committee to conceive of, initiate, develop and implement Chinese cultural programs and events.
- Recommend arts and cultural programs to FTH programming staff, suitable to both the Mainland Chinese and Taiwanese communities residing in and outside New York City.
- Manage FTH’s Chinese Cultural Committee, including scheduling meetings, helping to set the agenda for meetings, and representing FTH at community meetings/events.
- Consult with FTH’s Chinese Cultural Committee and other community and arts leaders to develop and implement Chinese and cross-cultural programming ideas.
- Work closely with FTH’s Asian Arts Specialist and Community Advisor.
- Understand, be sensitive to, and communicate awareness of any political agendas and affiliations within the community, to ensure FTH’s arts & cultural programs remain apolitical at all times.
- Fundraise for Chinese programs in the local and regional community, including seeking sponsorships from local business and donors, and identifying foundations, corporate grant programs, and government sources interested in supporting Chinese programs. Work with Development and Executive staff on fundraising efforts.
- Work with FTH staff to develop and implement cross-cultural programming that would engage the Chinese community.
- Translate FTH materials (marketing brochures, press releases, etc.) into Chinese, and distribute.
- Maintain and develop relationships with local Chinese-language media; work with FTH marketing and PR staff to coordinate press events and press releases aimed at Chinese media.
- Post to Chinese Social Media platforms, such as WeChat, on behalf of FTH.
- Work to promote cross-cultural dialogue and activities between the Chinese Community and other ethnic communities throughout the New York City area; Promote FTH’s global arts programming to the Chinese community.
- Attend and represent FCCA at local Chinese and Taiwanese functions and events.
- Serve as an on-site translator at Flushing Town Hall events attended by Chinese speakers; translate during office hours for Chinese speakers who wish to speak with FTH staff. Assist with rental inquiries and production coordination.
- Provide guidance to FCCA staff on cultural nuances and issues important to the local Chinese community.
- Advocate for FCCA and its mission, within the Chinese Communities of NYC; work to expand FCCA’s audience from the Chinese Community.
- Identify and oversee volunteers and interns to assist with and support Chinese and cross-cultural programs.
- The candidate must be fully bi-lingual, fluent in both written/spoken English & Chinese.
- Strong communication skills, especially the ability to act comfortably and confidently with people of different backgrounds, donors, volunteers and colleagues.
- Knowledge of, and experience in multiple aspects of arts and/or cultural administration, including community outreach, marketing & PR, fundraising, budgeting, programming, and implementation.
- 2-3 years experience in any area of administration, especially arts and cultural management, community engagement, and/or other proven equivalent expertise.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Knowledge of and experience working in Flushing, in Queens, and in NYC.
- Knowledge of and/or practice in the arts a plus.
- Candidates with a master’s degree are preferred.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter, writing samples in BOTH English and Chinese, and 2 references, via email to: email@example.com. Include the words “Community Outreach – Chinese Project Director” in the subject line. No phone calls or mail submissions, please.
Box Office & Customer Service Support
FTH seeks a professional to join our Marketing Department as Box Office & Customer Service Support.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Maintain the highest standard of customer experience
- Process ticketing online, in person and via phone (using Vendini system)
- Respond to all phone and email inquiries and messages
- Process will-call, walk-in and comp ticket orders at events
- Daily and weekly reports
- Special target and group sale research and outreach
- Member reminders for upcoming events via email or phone
- Maintain member and customer database (using Vendini system)
- Gift Shop support, ie: generating sales & consignment reports, coordinating w/ Finance Dept. (Box Office & Gift Shop share same space), occasional serving as shop salesperson, as needed.
- Any other administrative duties reasonably related to the functions described above
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Must have experience in Box Office or visitor services related work
- Strong organizational and customer service skills
- Possess excellent communication skills
- Capable of carrying out a wide array of duties
- Work well in a team environment with minimum supervision
- Responsible and flexible
- Passion for the arts—particularly music, dance, theatre, puppetry, and the visual arts
- Previous experience with any ticketing software is strongly desired
- Bilingual ability a plus.
This position is a part-time (minimum 10 hours a week; $12/hr; no benefits) and will require consistent evening and weekend availability. Browse Flushing Town Hall’s website at www.flushingtownhall.org.
For consideration, e-mail a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Box Office & Customer Service Support” listed in the subject line. No phone calls or mail submissions.
Whatever your skills, interest or time availability, chances are there is a volunteer opportunity just right for you at Flushing Town Hall. Flushing Town Hall offers a variety of volunteer opportunities. Volunteers provide assistances to staff, patrons, and the general public in many areas including
- Sales & Marketing
- Volunteer Coordination
If you are interested in joining our team of outstanding volunteers, complete and submit this form today!
If you have any questions, please email Steven Palermo, Volunteet Coordinator at email@example.com
About Flushing Council on Culture and the Arts (FCCA):
FCCA was founded in 1979 to present diverse arts from all over the world, to contribute to the revitalization of Flushing, Queens, and to foster an intercultural exchange through the arts. In the 1990s FCCA acquired and renovated historic Flushing Town Hall (1862 Historic Landmark) on behalf of NYC, and operates the building as a thriving multi-disciplinary arts center. FCCA engages its multicultural community (138 languages are spoken in Queens) through the presentation of high quality, multidisciplinary arts programs – exhibitions; performances of jazz, classical music, puppetry theatre, dance, world music and spoken word; educational programs for audiences, artists, educators, and schools, free community events and family programs. FCCA is a member of NYC’s Cultural Institutions Group (CIG), and a Smithsonian Affiliate. For more information, please visit: www.flushingtownhall.org
FCCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer: FCCA provides equal access and equal opportunity in employment and services and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, or physical ability.
All positions open until removed from the website.