The CrossCurrent Dance Festival is a celebration of the vibrancy and diversity of the Asian American dance scene in the New York metropolitan area. Produced by Nai-Ni Chen Dance Company and presented by Flushing Town Hall, the festival aims to foster creative contemporary dance choreography in the Asian American Community. The festival will increase the visibility of Asian and Asian American dance, foster cross-cultural dialog and provide a more equitable context to discuss dance and its role in the NY/NJ dance communities.
The festival, in its 7th season, will be presented virtually as part of Flushing Town Hall’s FTH@HOME series on June 11, 2021 at 7 PM ET.
In the upcoming season, Nai-Ni Chen is looking for 4-6 choreographers to be presented virtually by Flushing Town Hall alongside of Nai-Ni Chen's work.
ONLINE APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 15, 2021
FINAL SELECTED CHOREOGRAPHERS RECEIVE:
- Online application form HERE
- If your work is not yet complete at the time of application please submit a representative sample AND a link to a previous, completed work. By default, the submitted work will be the work presented virtually.
- Selection committee must view your work for at least 5 minutes.
- Please include time from the start of your video in your application (cue instructions) if you do not want the panel to watch from the beginning.
- Your piece must be under 12 minutes and not using music that will cause youtube to block the video in the United States.
- All applicants must be based in the NY/NJ area and at least 20 years of age with professional dance training background.
- All applications will be viewed by an artistic panel led by Artistic Director Nai-Ni Chen.
- Up to six choreography will be selected.
- Selection will be notified by April 30, 2021.
- One virtual showcase and artist talkback live with the artistic panel members presented by Flushing Town Hall on June 11, 2021.
- Promotion on the Flushing Town Hall and Nai-Ni Chen social media channels.
- A dedicated Flushing Town Hall press release to NYC dance and artistic press outlets and journalists.
- Two comp tickets to Flushing Town Hall performances of choice (including the Queens Jazz Orchestra and gala/fundraising tickets).
- An honorarium of $150 Solo, Duet $200 - Trio, Quartet $300 - more than 4
All producing costs, including but not limited to dancer rehearsals, costumes, choreographer, video production, etc will be the responsibility of the applicant.