Call For All Creative Minds From New York City And Beyond!
Submission: September 30, 2021 - October 30, 2021
Outdoor Exhibition: November 6, 2021 - December 17, 2021
Rangoli is an age-old art form from India. Derived from the Sanskrit word “Rangavalli”, it means rows of colors and is used to celebrate Hindu festivals like Diwali. Rangoli is usually drawn in homes or courtyards, in the hope of inviting blessings of the Gods.
While Flushing Town Hall kicks off our annual celebration for Diwali, we are excited to invite all creative minds, novice and professional artists, children, and adults from local and international areas to participate in our first Rangoli Design Competition, showcasing their creativity and exchanging best wishes during the festival.
There are five groups for the competition. A jury invited by Flushing Town Hall will select one winner in each group. The design of the selected winners will be made into a vinyl poster and displayed on Flushing Town Hall’s outdoor fence located on Northern Boulevard from November 6, 2021 to December 17, 2021. Winners will also be granted a one-year free membership at FTH. All participants will receive a pair of free tickets to attend FTH’s public events.
How to enter the competition:
Select one of the following groups to join:
- Kids: Age 10 & under
- Teenagers: Age 11-18
- Adults: Age 19 - 59
- Seniors: Age 60 and over
- Professional artists
To enter the competition, please see the full guidelines below and email the following materials before October 30, 2021 to email@example.com
with “Submissions for Rangoli Design Competition” in the subject line:
- A clear and high-resolution scan or photo of your rangoli design (at least 300 dpi / 3MB)
- Your full name
- Your participating group
- Your phone contact and email address
- Your school name (for kids and teenagers group)
- Your age
- The title/design concept of your rangoli design
- Submissions are accepted from 9am EST on September 27, 2021, to 5pm EST on October 30, 2021.
- Only email submissions are allowed.
- Flushing Town Hall will not distribute a template or art materials --- Rangoli design must come from participants and should reflect on traditional rangoli design. Stencils are not allowed to be used for this competition.
- The Jury will select one winner from each group (a total of 5 winners) on November 1, 2021.
- Judging will be based on the following criteria: overall appearance, design/theme, intricacy and clarity, creativity.
- Competition winners will be announced and informed on November 2, 2021 by FTH Education’s official email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FTH will create vinyl posters with the winning designs for the outdoor exhibition.
- Winners will also receive a one-year free membership at FTH.
- All participants will receive a pair of free tickets to attend FTH’s public events.
- The outdoor exhibition is open to the public from November 6 to December 17.
- FTH will review all submitted work; any design that does not relate to the subject matter will be rejected.
- FTH reserves the right to reject any design that uses hate speech, profanity, or obscenity, depicts violence, sexual acts, or unlawful or illegal behavior.
- Flushing Town Hall will continue to showcase submissions on Flushing Town Hall’s Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter platforms, and on Flushing Town Hall’s Cultural Crossroads blog. By entering the competition, participants give permission for their design and the photograph of their design to be distributed on these public digital platforms and be shared online, unless specifically noted during submission.
For further information, please contact Flushing Town Hall Education Department at email@example.com
The 2021 Rangoli Design Competition and Outdoor Exhibition are made possible with the generous support of the Guru Krupa Foundation.